St Louis University Hospital

About Saint Louis University Hospital

As the first institution of higher learning west of the Mississippi, Saint Louis University (www.slu.edu) traces its origins to the fall of 1818. Shaped and guided by the Society of Jesus, SLU seeks to educate individuals intellectually, spiritually and physically, preparing students to be men and women of competence and conscience. The Health Sciences Center is home of the University's Schools of Medicine, Nursing, Allied Health Professions, and Public Health, as well as SLUCare, the physician practice group, and sits opposite the Tenet-owned Saint Louis University Hospital. The Hospital contracts the services of the Pastoral Care Department from the University, and supports the clinical pastoral education (CPE) programs offered by the Department. The CPE program at SLU was first accredited by ACPE in 1991 as a free-standing center and re-accredited in 2001 within the St. Louis Cluster.

Clinical settings for CPE are provided primarily at Saint Louis University Hospital, a tertiary-quaternary trauma center and teaching hospital that is part of the Tenet-Saint Louis Healthcare System (www.sluhospital.com). CPE students are precepted by and work collegially with the full-time and part-time pastoral care staff in hospital clinical areas (psychiatry, transplant services, oncology, general surgery, internal medicine, trauma, emergency medicine, orthopedics, neurology, neuro-surgery, cardio-thoracic surgery, cardiology, pulmonology, and geriatric medicine). Selected students have opportunities to do pediatric and outpatient clinical through contractual arrangements with adjacent healthcare facilities. CPE students are integrated into patient-care through interdisciplinary healthcare team involvement: discharge planning and patient care conferences; crisis response; grief and death support; organ-tissue requesting; ethics consultations; advance directives; and religious, spiritual, emotional, and cultural care of patients, family, and staff.